You received an email, you checked it, you completed the task, you went back to work. After 10 minutes, you received another email, and the cycle continues. How many times have you found yourself running down this rabbit hole? This makes it hard to focus on the work at hand and decreases productivity. You take longer to complete the task, resulting in even less time for your personal life, affecting the work-life balance. To improve that, managing email inbox is important.
What is work-life balance?
Work-Life balance is a concept that describes the ideal situation in which an employee can split his or her time and energy between work and other essential aspects of their life. Achieving work-life balance is a daily challenge. It is tough to make time for family, friends, community participation, spirituality, personal growth, self-care, other personal activities, and the workplace’s demands. Managing email inbox is an important task to increase productivity, an essential aspect of work-life balance.
Why is managing email inbox important?
Apart from the increased productivity at work, here are other reasons why you must strike a balanced work-life balance.
1. To keep your mental health in check
2. To keep your physical health and well-being in check
3. It boosts efficiency.
4. Becoming a more well-rounded individual
5. You get one chance at life.
Benefits of managing email inbox
Cutting email volume frees up more time to get our work done and lessens the impact on our most crucial productivity tool: focus. Managing email inbox is just about managing the distractions that disrupt focus when we are forced to move from a primary task to secondary objects, which are usually unrelated to what we’re doing.
Piles of unread email contribute to feelings of overwhelm and a sense that things are out of control. This creates the impression that you can’t handle the mass, which triggers the stress response. Regaining control of email reduces the sense of chaos and, with it, the tension that leads to bad decisions and health issues. Taming one’s email is, therefore, an essential stress management technique and increases work productivity.
Tips for managing email inbox
Here are a few tips for you to manage your email inbox:
- Establish the terms of engagement
You can regain power by deciding when and how you communicate with email—by setting the terms of interaction with our computers, manually reviewing email, and turning off all the dingers and noisemakers. This necessitates the establishment of certain boundaries. Harvard’s Leslie Perlow experimented with a tech firm whose workers worked nights and weekends to complete items on time.
She implemented a program called Quiet Time there. There was no texting for four hours a day, two in the morning and two in the late afternoon, so people could focus and get their work done. The program resulted in increased productivity of 59 and 65 percent in the two message-free regions, respectively.
- Use relevant tools to have effective email management
It contends that e-tool usage rules help control the confusion and decrease the amount of money spent on messaging. It’s not challenging to come up with email law concepts. In reality, there are numerous email management tools available to assist you in accomplishing this. Below, I am listing down a few email management softwares which can help you achieve the tips I have mentioned above.
Mailman is a fantastic inbox management tool. It will help you in managing email inbox by blocking insignificant emails. These plug-ins decrease interruptions, which results in increased work productivity and a better work-life balance. Mailman’s primary function is to sort and separate email messages and allow you to set the time and frequency of email delivery based on your needs.
– Mailman is a Gmail email management program, which means it only works with Gmail. Mailman is compatible with various email clients, including Apple Mail, Spark, Mailbird, Polymail, and Superhuman.
– You can use Mailman to block unimportant emails. However, you will not miss anything because you will receive a list of the blocked emails at the end of the day.
– You can set a time when people will send no mail to you using the do not disturb mode. It is the best time management application.
This is a valuable function when you need to concentrate on a project or spend some quality time with your family.
– You can add essential senders, keywords, and domains to the VIP list in MailmanMailman. Voila! You won’t miss out on any vital contact or updates.
– Mailman allows you to choose when and how often you want your emails sent. You won’t have to monitor your emails regularly or be concerned about losing vital details from your work.
- Sales Handy
Sales Handy is an email management software that assists businesses in capturing all emails as tickets. This platform helps you to handle as many inboxes as you want from a single dashboard view. It becomes a primary point of contact for all your team members due to its ability to collect all incidents reported via email in one location. This softwares helps in managing email inbox by bringing everything under one umbrella.
– Online help desk software will provide you and your team with the necessary tools to collaborate as a cohesive team and increase productivity. They will collaborate on complex customer problems by using mutual inboxes.
– There is no need for your staff to monitor customer complaints manually or move between different channels while using a support desk. For their convenience, Sales handy has located all of the resources on their dashboard.
– When your employees have the proper context, communication becomes effortless. Prepare to share quick answers and entertain customers with support desk management software’s automated workflow.
- Front App
FrontApp benefits teams to conveniently classify inboxes. It approves of demonstrating a shared inbox for entire teams and configuration email transmission in it.
The equipment subsidizes the administration of team email addresses, understanding of internal email meetings and discussions, confederation on communications, and email flow authorization.
FrontApp also allows employees and staff to see who is working on what to stave off twofold work and sketched or duplicated acknowledgments.
Automation characteristics, like routing rules, tagging, and canned responses along with automated notifications, help speed up the endeavor with the inbox.
An ideal work-life balance is a myth. You need to find your sweet balance. Emails take up a lot of our time and attention. Managing email inbox will surely help you spare some extra time for yourself. Hopefully, these strategies and methods will assist you in achieving increased productivity and finding a healthy work/life balance.